Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Jesus Saved Me!

The Testimony of My Salvation
 
I don’t remember much about that day. I was only two years old. Now, you may think that this is too young for anyone to make such a drastic decision about their life – but, for me, it wasn’t.

I’m not sure what it was exactly that caused me to realize I needed a relationship with God –  when I think back I almost think I remember a bedtime prayer when I didn’t feel as though God was hearing me because I had not asked Jesus into my heart.  Like I said, though, that part is not quite clear. What I do remember is waking up one morning, I’m pretty sure it was a Sunday, and deciding I wanted to give my life to God and I wanted both of my parents to be there when I did.

As a child, I thought – I guess from stories I had heard – that someone was led to salvation by being shown Bible verses and told that they were a sinner, why they needed a Savior, what Jesus had done, and how to pray. I also, figured Mom and Dad would ask me questions about why I wanted to make this choice and so I spent some time determining my answer.

I waited until evening, just before bed. And this is where my memory becomes quite clear. I went into my room and got my little, green New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs. With it clutched in my hand, I walked into the living room where Mom and Dad sat talking. I told them that I had decided I wanted to give my life to the Lord and asked if they would pray with me.

My parents, thinking that I was too young and that this was just a passing fancy of the moment, told me I could go ahead and pray my own words and they would listen. I remember being disappointed that they hadn’t shown me any verses. But I knelt in front of the sofa, hands folded, eyes closed and prayed anyway. No one but God remembers what I said. My parents have told me that they remember looking at each other in astonishment over how much my prayer showed I understood – that, after that, they didn’t doubt my sincerity. All I remember is that in that moment I knew that God heard my prayer. I knew that I could talk to Him now and not have to worry if He heard. I knew I belonged to Him now and He would always be there, always be listening, always be watching over me. It was the best day of my life.

 

Years passed. When I was seven, my Sunday School teacher asked if anyone wanted to pray and ask Jesus into their heart. She did this every week and rarely did anyone take her up on it. I always felt sorry for her when no one did. This particular week one of my friends raised her hand and said that she had already gotten saved, but asked if she could pray again, just in case. The teacher agreed saying it was a good idea to “be sure you are saved.” When she said that, it made me wonder if maybe I had been too young the first time and I decided I should pray again, “just in case.” So, I did. That week. The next month. Almost every time I was in a church service and there was an altar call. I would get up and “get saved again, just in case.” I lived constantly wondering if I really did belong to the Lord or not. Wondering if maybe, on the last day, I would be one of the ones on the left, wondering where I went wrong. (Matthew 25: 41-46)

I never told my parents of my uncertainty; it took several years for me to finally realize that all the insecurity and doubt was keeping me from growing in my relationship with God. The Holy Spirit used a lot of things to help me realize that spiritual growth and development occurs only after one is born again. He showed me that I needed to leave my salvation up to Him and quit worrying about the final state of my soul. I needed to begin to focus on the present state of my soul and start growing spiritually. Not long after I started doing this, I received the gift of baptism in the Holy Spirit, evidenced by speaking in tongues. That experience convinced me that God had chosen me as His own and sealed me with His Spirit. (John 14:16-18, 26; Acts 2)

There is so much more I have to learn, but I am so grateful that I was blessed with the opportunity of dedicating my life to the Lord so young and to have been kept from a lot of the bad situations and influences that many others have had to face.

God loves us. He sent His Son to die for us. And He did not send Him to keep us wondering if we were good enough or not. Jesus came for one reason alone – to save our souls. (John 3:16 -17)

You may not have had the opportunity that I did. But if you haven’t, there is great news: you can do that right now! Just like I learned, it’s not what you say, or who says what to you. You just have to be sincere and know that God is calling you. He will give you the words to say if you just listen. Then you will never have to be alone, and you will also have the assurance of knowing that He will hear your every prayer from this moment on. Jesus will seal you for eternity; you will be in Heaven with Him and everyone else who has given their lives to His service. (2 Chronicles 7:14; John 6:40)

 

See you there!

 

~ToriLynn

No comments:

Post a Comment